The concept for Good News Lutheran College began in 1992 as a result of the vision of members of the Lutheran congregations of Christ the Lord - Laverton and St. Philip's - Werribee.
Australia has had Lutheran schools ever since the first Lutheran settlers arrived in South Australia from Germany in 1839. Even before the SA government became formally involved in education, Lutheran communities established their own schools because they were concerned about the future of their children. They wanted to provide for the growth of their children spiritually, intellectually, socially and physically.
The Lutheran school system has since grown to be one of the largest networks of independent schools in Australia, currently educating over 42,000 students in 86 Lutheran schools and 57 Early Childhood Centres throughout Australia. Located in Wyndham, and continuing a 175-year tradition of Lutheran education in Australia, Good News Lutheran College is one of 16 Lutheran schools in Victoria.
The College has grown significantly from a small group of 24 students who commenced in 1997, opening as a primary school and remaining so until 2010. After several years of planning, the College began its growth into secondary schooling in 2011, when the first classes of Year 7 began. These students then became our first Year 12s graduating at the end of 2016.
Meanwhile, in 2012, the purchase of the adjacent farm land was finalised in order to accommodate the planned growth. The original farm house still remains, though several new facilities for Science and Technologies, as well as modern and flexible learning spaces for Middle and Senior students have recently been built. Now with over 1000 students across Prep – Year 12, the College continues to strengthen its educational and pastoral programmes with the International Baccalaureate PYP and MYP programmes currently going through implementation.